Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Did you ever try to smile at some people...



Did you ever try to smile at some people
And all they ever seem to do is stare

- Gram Parsons

I walk a lot, especially now that I’m “in between gigs.” My regular route is populated by fellow strollers, joggers, bicyclists, sight seers and folks just hangin' out in their cars smoking legalized medicinal marijuana.  I don’t like using headphones. I just enjoy the scenery and like hearing the sounds of everyday life.  I also feel it is good manners to acknowledge those who pass by. Usually a half smile or nod works well. What makes me use the sad-face typing symbol, :-( ,  is that few people reciprocate the gesture.

I wonder why? Not only do many fail to return a common “hey,” but some actually look at me like I’m a psychopath. This usually causes me to check my zipper, and it has always been up – no cow gets outta the barn on my watch! So what gives?

As I walk along in unrecognized silence, I have time to contemplate. Since my zipper is up and I don’t have feces smeared on my clothes it must be something else.  Were they abducted by a disgruntled ice cream man when they were little? Are they germophobic? Are they foreign? What causes these people to be so cold?

I don’t want to get all “come on people now, smile on your brother” on you, but is a little friendliness too much to ask?  Oh well.  I will continue with my semi-greetings as I encounter strangers. As for you reading this, hopefully you will do the same.  

I’m going for a walk – time for my daily shunning.