Thursday, January 24, 2013

I Don’t Care About Your Dog



I was trying to find a cheap pair of shoes at the stupid mall the other day and could’ve sworn I was at the Humane Society.  It seemed like every other person had a dog with them – dogs in sweaters, dogs in cutesy carry bags, dogs in special doggy strollers, dogs peeing on the Victoria’s Secret panty pyramid. Now I understand the special bond between human and canine – I’ve owned a few dogs in my life. However as Waylon Jennings once said, “Don’t ya’ll think this dog bit’s done got out of hand?”  Well, he didn’t say that exactly, but the spirit was there. 


Dogs have moved from the backyard to… well… everywhere!  They even had a banner at the damn swap meet proclaiming “We Are Dog Friendly!” Dogs are top news.  I was watching the news the other morning and they were describing a traffic accident – “A man and his two children were taken to the hospital and treated for minor injuries. Their dog escaped without injury.”  Really?  I don’t care about the damn dog.  Hell, I don’t really care about the accident either.


What has happened that has caused society to vault dogs into pampered child status?  Is it the ever present fashion-pooch in the clutches of every pseudo TV celebutard?  Is it folks without children projecting their need to be a parent onto an animal? Or is it that people have finally caved in with guilt after watching that sad puppy/kitty infomercial with Sarah McLachlan and contributed to “the cause?”


I don’t know the answer, but I do know I’m sick of it.  Cute rain coats, fancy sunglasses and mini motorcycles with training wheels do not make your dog a human.  Unless you’re blind or taking a happy lab to a hospital to cheer up sick people, leave the dog at home! 

I guess what I’m really trying to say is, I don’t want to see your precious labradoodle pumping out a steamer while I’m trying to eat my dipping dots at the food court… Come On!